For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Sunday, January 31, 2010

To Rise Out of the Ashes

AIB Residency Summary...an exerpt

"Discourse emitted from not only within the walls of AIB, but out into the streets of Boston until the wee hours of the morning. My brain became a sponge that soaked up terminology, philosophy, theory, visual imagery, and imagination until the lot of it bled out uncontrollably into my spirit and I walked away a questioning human being. The graduates, as well as the faculty urged, 'This first semester is the time for you to play, to get out as much as you can in the simplest means possible." This has created an interior fight, a battle between holding on to parts of me that I am afraid to let go of, and knowing that by letting go I will find my place in a varied, subjective, yet documenting culture which permeates all of society, knowingly and unknowingly."

To read entire document please see my White Papers listing in the sidebar

No comments:

Post a Comment