For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Uphill Battle- January 26





Up at 4:45, work by 6:00.
Out by 3:00
Academia or Studio work by 3:30
Karate at 6:00 or 7:30
Oh yeah, supper in there somewhere
Bed by 9:30 ( right)
Oh, you mean I have to take out the trash, too?

I have conceded...my house will now be a workshop for the next 2 plus years.
Friday nights, maybe for friends

Ok enough of that!
Right about the end of the AIB residency, I began having night visions... ideas.. and I am still getting them.
The goal is to draw them out.. get them out... make them happen.

I have been informed that this is the semester to PLAY! and I am trying not to get in my own way so that I may do just that.

:PROBLEM # 1 STILL NO ARTIST MENTOR.

as an aside:

Regarding my original goal...I have been doing some reading about how even in death, we speak, we make a mark.
Perhaps the grief and sorrow are caused, not by the death of my husband, as I am truly happy for him. He does not hurt any longer.

Perhaps my sorrow stems now from the loss of my identity, my place.
In death as in life, he has made his mark..cemented in time if you will. Through his marks he will go on.

I am left to wander

As an artist, I wish to make my mark also, but until I find my identity, how could I possibly make a mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment