For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

.........

Letter to my mentor:

I have been pondering your question "What is your next journey plan?"

The MFA completion seems almost anti-climactic...we were submersed in an environment rich with art, commentary, visuals, opinions, theory, craziness and camaraderie for 11 days at a clip ( 5 times in 2 years!) and then also connected to mentors like yourself...whom we all envision living in that "world" we aspire to enter in to...only to return home, happily at first, exhausted at best, but in the end left to face ourselves, our strengths and weaknesses, and more importantly the one question that keeps on haunting us..."So why is it that we make art?"

Why, when I don't make art am I miserable, and when I do, scared to death sometimes, and who even gives a flying shit if I do or don't, and should they? Why is it that I want so badly to tell the world what it is I see about people, about things, about "stuff"?

I respect that you have stuck it out, that you keep picking yourself up and "get to the work of art" that you see things differently and tell those stories through your work.

One goal is to find a network of artists to bounce ideas off of, to tell me that I am a 'drama queen" (thanks :-) and to sometimes let me know that YES! they see what it is I am trying to achieve.

I still want to persue the humorous "widow" project, but for now I am going to continue with my shirts and see where they go.

I have taken about 10 days to get back into my high school teaching, student exams, new classes etc. and have been assessing the damage to my neglected family, health, and home... I already feel like a slug for not going into the studio, but I am just cleaning up to get ready for whatever comes next.

This roller coaster ride is far from over...

Get your tickets now! Hop on! A new ride is about to begin :-) Oh, how I DO love Rollercoasters............

1 comment:

  1. great post Teresa! the whole experience is quite an ordeal -- enjoy the ride! xo

    ReplyDelete