For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Monday, July 25, 2011

Finding connections in the discourse of contemporary art




When I saw this image of McQueen's work, I could not believe how the sleeve area reminded me of the detail in my piece "transference" (HEH I am in no way saying I am a McQueen) What seeing this does is to show me how brave McQueen was about allowing his passion to come through his medium, to see connections with other artists working in the same type of mark-making, and to acknowledge that romanticism and tradition is not dead! When I look at this sleeve, I can feel what he was doing as he created it. I know what that feels like.

I am thankful for the insistances by Deb, Hannah, and Laurel that I go and see this show. Having never even heard of McQueen, and walking into this exhibit cold turkey took me on a ride of a lifetime! I understand the suggestions to push the mark-making, to make my whites seem "lived in", to push the deconstruction of the object. The presence of McQueens forms through the absences he allowed refer directly to my thesis. His keeping of the tradition of his medium, his links to romanticism and historicism through his thematic and his unmatched aesthetic strongly argue the case against the notion of the artist as genius as dead. Something to ponder for sure. And before I forget, the genius of Curator Andrew Bolton must also be recognized. Tranportive to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment