For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Strange Life of Objects-Annette Lemieux



This photo is of the cover of the exhibition 'catalog' for Annette Lemieux's current show at the Worcester Museum of Art. It is actually a critical overview of her career in a hardcover book.

This past Thursday, I had the great opportunity to view her show and hear her 'conversation' with critic Robert Pincus-Witten, who has contributed to the book.

This was such an amazing evening. It was as if I were sitting in on an intimate conversation amongst friends. Talk about being transported to a state between reality and fantasy! This was it. At one point, Mr. Pincus-Witten, in less than one minute ran through a chronological list of the entire contemporary art movement. I have never had such a clear understanding of these connections before this talk.
If you get a chance to see this show, you should go. I am hoping the museum recorded the talk so I can score a copy of it.

As an added bonus, Annette agreed to be my mentor for this upcoming residency. This will be my second time working with her and I am so excited! ...AND I got my book signed by both Annette and Mr. Pincus-Witten ....

No comments:

Post a Comment