For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"It’s a Freakin’ Campbell’s Soup Can” Or “My Kid Could Do That!”

"I cannot tell you how many times over the course of time, I have heard the phrase “That is art? My kid could do that!” Usually, the comment is directed at an artwork that came out of post WWII times, the 1960’s in particular, and honestly, there were times, when I myself would think “Hmm, hard to argue with that!” HOWEVER, and a big however as you can see, unlike those that comment and move on without further exploration, I have usually tried to research the reasoning behind the work that was in question, not always successfully so." (Go to Work Ethic in White Papers for the entire paper)

No comments:

Post a Comment