For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Threads and White Shirts

"I drew. I printed. I painted. I sculpted. I photographed myself. But every attempt was too literal, too romantic, too much to look at or too boring. In the book, Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils and Rewards of Artmaking the authors’ state: “The developing of an imagined piece is a progression of decreasing possibilities” (Bayles 16). This holds true not only for the development of one piece of art, but also for the process of creating as described above. None of what I had imagined spoke to me with the materials I had enlisted, and none had connected with the viewer in the manner in which I had wished. After exhausting all of the “classical” methods of art making, the ones that I revered, as well as some contemporary methods, the possibilities were dwindling, but through process of elimination came revelation." excerpt from Threads-Residency 3 MFA Thesis


Click on White Papers in the side bar to read the entire document

No comments:

Post a Comment