For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Sunday, February 20, 2011

White Shirt Series

There are a couple of reasons for the use of the white shirts:

1. It started because of my husband’s white shirts that he always wore, a way for me to remember.
2. My grandfather had a shirt factory and made men's white shirts for a living. This speaks to my ancestors and the marks they left behind
3. The torso is where the heart is held
4. Unlike the brain (thinking) the torso represents the spiritual side of man.The place where our deepest emotions are held.

The threads began as a way for me to draw with texture and materials, a way to accentuate the mark making of an artist. As I thought about it, I realized, that sewing has been in my life since I was little. My grandmothers both sewed, one embroidered, and one was a weaver of velvet. With the help of my mom, I sewed my own wedding gown, and all of the bridesmaid dresses. I sewed all of my own doll clothes as a young girl.

Also, the craft of sewing and stitching represents my feeling of the importance of the handmade, the human touch, that we as a society are moving swiftly away from.

Additionally, for this piece, (see Mending Me..below) the stitches are my way of Mending myself a process of healing One side, the pure white side, is the part of me that is the way it was, my “usual” self, the other side is the 'torn' part, if you will. I am mending myself, and the stitches are rough, as the mending process is not a nice and even process.

Areas considered are:
the shoulders (heavy burden..note the minimal bundle)
the heart..stitched with shiny colorful thread in a delicate manner.Matters of the heart are delicate
the stomach area, deep cut, the gut
the arm sliced and mended as if in a fight by the enemy

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this is an unexpected direction, but it sure is powerful! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unexpected for me also, Rob. I had done several sketches after reading Elkins book "The Object Stares Back" and when I brought the work I had been doing to my new mentor, she felt the shirt had a powerful impact on her, and also saw a deep connection to the object. I decided to go with it,and am very excited. It is difficult because I am having to learn a new medium, but once again, I am willing to take the chance, if it means I am able to grow as an artist. Keep your candles lit on this venture! Miss you

    ReplyDelete