For the Ride of Your Life:


"It may well be that there is no human urge more fundamental than that of making a mark"-

In the words of Chuck Close: "You Just Have to Show Up



"I would like to make something that is real in itself," [Arthur Dove] once wrote, "that does not remind anyone of any other thing, and that does not have to be explained like the letter A, for instance."

“Art is never an end in itself; it is only an instrument for tracing the lines of lives.”

—Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari (qtd. in West)

~~~~~~~

Friday, March 5, 2010

Keepin it Movin' 2



45"x51"
I am lovin' this paper and I am loving the sheer act of drawing. Once I get over the anxiety of thinking of the next paper to write, and get my butt out to the studio... nothing can drag me away. Sometimes I find that I may only do a small amount of marks on the works, but every stroke seems to be intentional, unlike my past ways of working, where I would just go at it in a haphazard sort of way.
Now, don't say I am trying to control too much, not letting things "happen" because I am finding that by having an intent is a freedom on its own. I may sit back, look, process and then react, but once the reaction begins.. WATCHOUT! the fun begins to happen.
Hope everyone is moving along...who knows if this is what I am "supposed" to be doing. For me, I guess it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment